SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jhodgens

Unable to start B&S 12 hp

jhodgens
14 years ago

I have a briggs & stratton 12 hp twin (model 422707-1510-01) that is giving me starting problems. The starter has been cranking it really sluggishly. Sometimes in order to start it, I need to manually assist the starter turn engine over. Sometimes I have to charge the battery more, though this no longer seems to do the trick. The battery tests good. I have removed the starter and found the following: A shiney triangular spot on the inside of the magnet. (approximately the area of a nickel/quarter)

Testing the starter off the mower, it seems to work as it should (using the charger). I noticed that the gear ring has some damage. While no teeth are missing, the stop that prevents the starter from overextending has portions missing at the two places where the engine cycle normally ends. Upon reinstalling the starter, it now whirrs, without engaging. I suspect this may be due to a gummed bendix which will get a shot of WD-40 at first light. The real stumper for me is that when the starter properly engages, it does not seem to have enough ooomph to turn it over. The flywheel advances only an inch or so, unless I give it some help. Now the help I offer it is not enough.

Cost of a starter is $140! That's more than my last auto starter! So trial and error replacement is not the way to approach this.

When I was given this used mower a year or so ago, I attempted to start it. Trying to crank it 4 times, I realized that it had been drained of gas and oil! Could it be that I damaged the engine due to absence of lubrication? If so, how does one confirm this, and what would be the recommended repair options?

Thanks for your consideration.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals
More Discussions