SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcernis

John Deere 425 Rough Idle

jcernis
15 years ago

I've been following a few discussions on the board of other owners of John Deere 425s and was hoping someone can help. I recently purchased a used 425 with 570 hours on the unit. The unit is a '93 with an AS02 revision Kawasaki engine. The previous owner advised to give the carb a good cleaning, as the engine ran rough at lower speeds. The unit runs very rough at both slow and fast idle, but runs well at full throttle. If I leave the choke halfway open, slow and fast idle is smoother.

I cleaned and adjusted the carb following the instructions in the JD service manual. The engine ran better, but was still rough. I took the tractor to my local dealer. They again adjusted the carb, but it still runs rough. The service manager said they don't have much experience with these units, but recommended buying a new carb as Deere has a revised unit.

I know a member had mentioned the low temperature thermostat and carb. I removed the thermostat (65 degree C) dropped it in some 150 degree water. It opened just fine.

So here's my question: What am I missing? Will the revised carb solve my problems (the dealer says no returns if the part is used)? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions