SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rozman_gw

Simplicity Regent Won't Start

rozman
13 years ago

I have similar problem to post regarding a Craftsman tractor, only mine is a Simplicity Regent with a 14 HP single cylinder engine (28P777-0641-A1).

Machine was running fine, was turned off for a minute then I could not start again.

Engine cranks.

Upon advice from another posting forum I tried rebuilding the carb, and when I wasn't able to remove the main jet (it would not back out of the seat) decided to bite the bullet and purchase a new carb.

No luck.

Have also just for the shear fun, replace the armature and spark plug.

Have verified that I have spark.

The carb does get wet when engine cranks, but I'm not entirely sure the pump is working 100%.

Checked seat switch; using Ohm Meter. it's working correctly.

Compression looks dicey. I couldn't get a reading using a compression test tool, and I also tried putting a finger over the spark plug hole to see if I could feel a transition (pushing or pulling) when the engine was rotated, but felt nothing.

Valves seem to be going in and out, although I noticed one of the valves does not compress as far as the other. Have tried a number of different valve clearance settings.

Checked the cam key; it's perfectly straight. Went to trouble of pulling the flywheel to make sure, but it was completely straight.

When I crank the engine I get no puff - apparently no ignition. During all my work to try to fix this hunk-o-junk, at one point I would at least get a puff, or cough and occaisional backfire. Doesn't even do that now.

Any other ideas? What are common reasons for compression failure?

Thanks for the help guys!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH