SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rayofluck

Southern States Statesman

13 years ago

Hello all. My name is Ray and Ive recently found myself with 1 acre of grass and 2 acres of turf to maintain. Up until now I have been fortunate to have a neighbor help but this has changed. I tried cutting the property with a self propelled walk behind troy-built that has a bad belt and must be pushed (ugh). I did finish but barely escaped the stroke that felt imminent. I need some help. Ive have a southern states statesman 12 hp 36" deck that has been sitting in my shed since I purchased the property 5 years ago. I do not know how long the machine has been sitting idle but I now find myself in the market for a lawn tractor and I thought it might be worth pulling out of the shed. I have no experience with riding mowers other than the web surfing I have done in the past week or so. Could someone please advise if I should bother with the mower? The reason I started down this path was the Simplicity dealer that I was talking with asked me if I had any equipment to trade. I mentioned the statesman and two low end push mowers and he agreed to drop the sales tax cost of the Regent I was looking at. (offer is $2895 total for a 24hp 50" Regent) This got me to thinking perhaps the statesman was worth a look, or perhaps the dealer is just trying to seal a deal. So, please what are your thoughts, should I attempt to solicit a restoration/repair? And in case I move forward with the purchase what do you think of the regent offer for $2895? Thank you very much for reading my situation.

Comments (5)