SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wheelhorse_of_course

Wheel Horse 854 and RM-324/RM-364 Mower PTO

These have a foot operated PTO clutch. The PTO pedal (on the right side of the tractor) has a secondary pedal that causes it to lock when the main pedal is pushed forward. Pressing the secondary pedal releases the main pedal allowing it swing back. When ity swings back a pulley comes back.

It seems that the back position is the "PTO Engaged" position is the back position (the pulley has a V groove and in this position it would pull the belt into a triangle.

These should be similar on other mower decks and short frame tractors.

It appears there must be a spring that pulls the pulley to the rear of the mower. I need a confirmations of this. Assuming there IS a spring, then it would help to know where it attaches on the pedal/pulley assembly and the frame.

Photo anyone?

More importantly, I need to know the diameter of the spring, the length of the coiled portion and the length of each end/hook.

The other thing that would be helpful to know is the size of the belt or the OEM number off it.

Can anyone help? I know there are other forums, but before I join one I thought I'd ask you guys first.

Anyone?

Stolly, are you out there lurking?

Hoping to get this mower going beofre I have to push mow again. I have been lucky there has been so little rain, but the weeds are getting too tall and know we've had rain, so now is the time.

Worst case I should be able to make it work, but any help will make the job easier.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

Check out the drawings for the 1968 Commando 8. Model number 1-4831. The drawings aren't available at the Toro site. Use this lookup site.

WH Drawings

An attachment clutch spring is shown. Do the drawings look like your 854?

-Deerslayer

• wheelhorse_of_course
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Deerslayer

Thanks. Yes, as I would have guessed, the parts shown look identical. So that confirms there is a spring, and it works as I thought. Only $12 too.

There is a small hole in the frame that I am 80% sure is where the other end of the spring connects to.

Have you dealt with the above site? I may just get a generic spring, or I may go ahead and buy one from them.

Need to figure out the right belt size. Shouldn't be hard once I have the spring.

I'll probably drive the tractor over to the hardware store so I can verify what belt fits. Once I have one the right size I can purchase a real OPE belt the same size to have on hand when the generic belt fails.

Been lucky it has been so dry as I have not had to mow more than a few times. If it had not been so dry I would have mowed again 2 weeks ago, but decided to leave it long rather than stress it. The Charger still awaits its replacement engine so the push mower has been the onlyoption. Looks like I should get the 854 mowing next week so that will be cool.

I have now added a (home made) lift cable, a draw bar, and Dozer hitch to the 854.

I am going to pick up a box grader blade since the scarifier will make a difference loosening the soil I need to move around. Last fall I did some grading with the dozer blade (and Charger 12) and the results were mixed. Hard to dig in and get much soil.

Once I get the mower working, I'll get back to the front trip bucket. I bought one from a guy in MI he made for a cub. Originally, I planned on putting it on Secretariat (the Charger 12), but the size is more appropriate for the 854 so I am going to put it on Mr Ed instead. Actually, much of the work is done to have it work with a standard front tach-a-matic and using a piece of black pipe and the flag from my snow blower for lift. The problem is the angle is wrong so that it is always tipped down. This causes it to catch in the soil, and the tractor drives over it - as it pivots, the horse "rears up". Happens in a blink of an eye!

The fix will be two fold. First I need to grand the stop that determines where the buckets rotation stop. Secondly I need some chains to stop the thing from pivoting beyond a safe point.

I was working on this project when I found a mower deck for the 854 and getting that set up became a priority.

Thanks again.

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

I usually buy my parts at Jack's Small Engines. Jack's discounts 10-20% off standard dealer prices. Here's a link:

Jack's

You have a lot of projects underway!

-Deerslayer

• mith
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of whats on my Commando. Spring goes from the top of the pin that holds the lock arm on, to a bolt further down the chassis.

{{gwi:338962}}

• wheelhorse_of_course
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mith,

thanks for the photo. Pretty much what I figured. My deck only has onr sheave for belt to the PTO, though the deck itself has 2 belts.

Any useful markings on those belts?

Deerslayer. I knew you like Jacks - now I know why. I'll probably buy a spring locally and also order one. Got to get that deck operating next week and the grass grown.

I love the basic engineering of these old horses. My guess about how this PTO worked was correct not because I am really all that clever, but because the engineers at WH used horse sense when designing rather than trying to show off. As someone on another thread observed, the bearings for most part of these old horse are standard bearing available anywhere. I have rebuilt a deck spindle with no manual, just the pieces of the old one and the Stoc Drive and/or small parts catalogs.

This 854 is in very nice shape, despite the fact it has a fair number of parts that appear to be off slightly different horse models. I had two test runs with the bucket and it reared up in a mere second with the engine idling. Hopefully the third time will be the charm, though first I got to get the deck going. I am supposed to pick up the engine for the charger 12 in Labor day. If all goes well I'll have the snow blower on the Charger and the Plow on the 854 by winter - of course that will mean no snow this year!

Cheers

• wheelhorse_of_course
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Folks,

the manual for the mower deck arrived and I was lucky that it listed that it is a 28" belt. I picked a spring out at the hardware store and the lawn is mowed!

I saw on another thread that Jack's has a catalog, once you are a customer. So I think I'll order the correct spring and a proper OPE type belt from him and enjoy the catalog when it comes.

I like the rear discharge deck. Never used one before. It leaves the clippings very even. Hmm, should be even better with Gators, eh? I'll price those too.

Thanks for the help guys!

Rolf

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions