SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidpsalt_gw

11hp B&S - new rewind starter whining and uncoiling

davidpsalt
13 years ago

Hello - I just replaced my rewind starter ($72) and the clutch assembly with brand new parts. Reassembled and after the motor is running for a minute or less the rewind starter begins whining very load and the pull cord comes unravelled. I have to shut it down quick as I am sure this is not good. When not running I can pull on the cord and it will recoil back into place. Happens over and over again hence I can't mow my lawn. FYI - this is an 11hp Briggs 252707-0208 on a 1986 Snapper HiVac 28". Advise is greatly appreciated!!!

Oh - I had to replace these parts as this would happen from time to time but would go away. I let my neighor use my machine while I was out of town he returned it with the rewind starter all wallowed out from the clutch binding up and ruining the plastic rope wheel where it slides over the clutch assembly.

Comments (5)

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

I am not familar with that engine, but usually there are 3 or 4 balls under the square pawls, usually there are three little screws that hold the cover on. My guess is these balls are hanging up and catching. If you haven't already or if you style even has these catch balls would be to remove and clean the housing (inside), balls, and the slots they ride in.

Reason I say this is I had a old 3HP tiller that would do the same thing, start squealing and the rope would start to come out. My first act was to grease these balls, DON"T do that! They will stick. the idea is for them to be clean so they drop after the engine starts and release I think??? I finely drilled a small hole in the housing cover so I could squirt some wd40 in there to stop the squealing. I don't recommend that cause my tiller was 35 years old and other than point and condenser replacement thats all I ever done to it except change the oil, clean the spark plug and decarbonize the combustion chamber a few times.

That's my guess? maybe it will help or maybe not?

• canguy
    13 years ago

Remove the clutch and polish the shaft above the threads with a strip of sand paper. Make sure the end of the shaft is not flared from being beaten on to remove the flywheel. Did you use an OEM clutch or a cheap aftermarket replacement?

• walt2002
    13 years ago

As said above, the problem is and probably was in the beginning, the projection on the end of the crankshaft that the recoil runs on. Needs polished and a light coat of oil.

Walt Conner

• davidpsalt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks folks - the clutch assembly is brand new and carries a part number "26-1324" and was made in Taiwan - not sure if B&S has a facility there now or if it is aftermarket. The new Rewind Starter is definately B&S - "390391".

I will break it all back down, pull the fly wheel and polish the end of the crank. Did not notice and flaring but will polish it up and put some 30W oil on it before reinstalling the flywheel, etc.

Thanks again - hope this works. Will post back with the result tomorrow.

• walt2002
    13 years ago

"I will break it all back down, pull the fly wheel and polish the end of the crank."

No need to pull flywheel! Do polish crankshaft extension. Also, there should be a felt pad in the upper end of the starter part that goes on the crankshaft, put 3-4 drops of oil on that.

Walt Conner

Sponsored
More Discussions