SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riku_gw

Stumbled across a Mislabeled Erskine's Prairie Peace ?

riku
15 years ago

Returning from from a trout fly fishing trip into the Rockies I stopped off at an Agriculture College to have a look at their rose garden I had heard of. Cruising through at lightening fast speed because my sons were waiting impatiently in the parking lot I came across a rose I swear is likely Erskines "Prairie Peace" (Beauty of Leafland x Hazeldean).

Bye gads this was one beautiful rose in the late evening sun - lovely apricot-peach hue in the sunset (R. altiaca and Harrison yellow in it though I call it a pimpinefolia hybrid). Rumoured to repeat.

Gorgeous, and the pictures do not do it justice in my opinion for the apricot glow ... also the pruning is in error as was the tag that labeled it Lambert Closse (sorry folks not even close - got that one myself).

I think besides the look of it, that because the college put it in the most centre focal point of the garden it has to be his Prairire Peace. Eskine (deceased) lived a long fly cast from the lake I was fishing at in zone 2 and about an hour from the college. Probably a focal point to honour a local legend in bullet hardy rose hybridizing.

If it is not his rose it sure is one unusual apricot pimpinefolia as I never heard of one myself - never seen one until today.

Satan tempted me when I bushed the canes apart and saw a nice vigorous sucker just begging to be removed to my garden ... but alas I could not bring myself to stoop so low for a rose.

Glad I got two of these from his home town champion of his roses - be retirement before I get them the size below).

The explorers, mordens and european alba seem to have been beaten up nicely by winter. However Theresa was doing well as were R. Glauca and also two beautiful Double Blush Burnets.

Long live private prairie hybridizers lads as they have/are always on top of it for the rose nut zoners.

Erskine's Prairie Peace ?

{{gwi:274946}}

{{gwi:274948}}

{{gwi:274950}}

{{gwi:274952}}

{{gwi:274953}}

{{gwi:274954}}

{{gwi:274955}}

Comments (9)