SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

A stroll through my backyard (Image heavy)

trudi_d
16 years ago

Here's some picts of what I see when I'm out in the garden...

{{gwi:341676}}
The wildflower and grasses garden, I made this for Hubs who loves all ornamental grasses more than anything in the garden, well, maybe with the exception of the tomatoes.

{{gwi:341677}}
The other side of the grass and wildflower garden.

{{gwi:341678}}
The pathstones are flanked by two planters, at the base of one is a patch of self-sown calendulas.

{{gwi:341679}}
This is the fence garden, it is dominated by huge spiderworts--they're the size of shrubs.

{{gwi:341680}}
A bright patch of mixed gaillardias grows in the corner of the rectangle garden. The seeds for these came from a planting at the Jones Beach Nature Center. They have a butterfly garden and I was able to obtain these seeds before it was cut back for the winter season when the center is closed.

{{gwi:341681}}
The loop--it's a long bed which originally was a hedge planting with tall miscanthus. It was a beast to dig out all the clumps, but it gave me a new planting are where I could put in my seed-grown crepe myrtles. It functions as a divider between the sunny and shady sections of this part of the garden.

{{gwi:341682}}
A shady section of border. As the sun rises the daylilies will be in sun for the rest of the day, the purple phlox are always in full or part shade.

{{gwi:341684}}
This is the back corner shrub garden, it has several shrubs which produce nectar, fruit and shelter for birds.

{{gwi:341685}}
A more central view of the shrub garden.

{{gwi:341686}}
The other side of the shrub garden.

{{gwi:341687}}
Hostas remain an addiction, the large blue and gold hosta in the center of the photo is Paradigm.

{{gwi:341688}}
On our 20th anniversary Hubs and I went to Montauk for the weekend, on the way back we stopped at an east end nursery and bought this lovely lacecap hydrangea. It is thriving in its location because of the mulch there, but even nicer, the neighbor has his compost heap on the other side of the fence and to the left of the hydrangea is my own compost heap.

{{gwi:341689}}
This is the long border by the back fence...it's sparse right now as it was a total redo this spring. It is planted with more crepe myrtles, a row of echinacea seedlings and is dotted throughout with annuals. Its border has a planting of orange profusion zinnias and geraniums.

{{gwi:341690}}
Opposite the fence planting are determinate tomatoes, they're interspersed by annuals and holding beds for perennials.

{{gwi:341691}}
More tomatoes, flowers and planting beds.

{{gwi:341692}}
Same garden but other side of the beds. There's an A-frame for cukes. You can see some of my huge compost heap which is behind the garage and along the stockade fence.

{{gwi:341693}}
Backview of the bench garden is always a riot of reseeding color. Every year it looks different as particular annuals or perennials take on dominance among the others.

{{gwi:341694}}
Front view of the bench garden. Mixed echinaceas dominate the view. The bulk of the plants here will attract butterflies for nectar or act as a host plant to feed their larvae. An Oklahoma Redbud is starting to fill out, it it now four years old. I love the bronze color in the new leaves.

{{gwi:341695}}
A close-up of some echinaceas--they're petals go up and down like horses on a carousel, the flowers are about five inches across.

{{gwi:341696}}
Along the large wooden fence is another redone bed...this one has annuals and perennials to attract butterflies. At the rear you can see a planting of aslepius. They are in their third summer and only two of them are blooming, maybe next year they'll all bloom. Monarchs have been resting on them so perhaps they'll lay their eggs too.

{{gwi:341697}}
This section of border is destined for a redo, it was smothered with almost a foot of clippings and leaves last winter and only the hardiest of the perennials emerged. I may tackle this redo later this year or leave it under another foot of leaves in winter and redo it next spring after the hardiest perennials emerge again.

{{gwi:341698}}
Ahhh...that was a long walk through the garden, time to take a rest in the shade.

Comments (46)

Sponsored