SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sane_psycho

Items to start with? (all around questions)

sane_psycho
15 years ago

OK, I've decided to try my hand at composting and am wondering about what materials I need to throw on to get started. It all started when I was weeding out some previously intentionally planted plants that had gotten out of control in my grandmother's garden and she frowned at all the organic material being thrown away and wondered if we could compost it. Well here I am. I till the soil where I would be started and chunked on what I weeded(monkey grass or laropi) and some huge sunflowers that had spent all their blooms. I trimmed off the leaves from the stalks, cut up the stalks and, after keeping the bloom heads away from the pile due to seeds and such, ran over it all with the lawn mower to get it into smaller bits. I then put the weeded stuff (which really isn't a weed) on top and here I am a day later asking for advice.

Should I go buy some manure to add? Would it help if I bought some compost already made and apparently teeming with microorganisms to give my meager pile a "boost"? Is using the mower to slice stuff up really a good idea lol?

I've already checked out the FAQ and any other basic advice or links would be appreciated.

Thanks. =)

Comments (17)