SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sanfrancisconewbie

Is there a SAFE way to deal with droppings from bird feeder?

sanfrancisconewbie
12 years ago

Hello all,

I recently mounted a six-perch tube feeder to the railing of my three-story porch deck. We're getting lots of Finches -- Red, Yellow, House, etc. -- along with a few other types. They've brought a lot of happiness to me, my wife and my two cats, who love to watch from inside the big windows.

But now, I'm beginning to wonder how sanitary and safe this whole arrangement is. At 12' by 7', the deck is pretty small, certainly smaller than the yards that many people participating in the Bird Forum discussions have. I'm concerned that the lack of grass and the relatively small size just isn't enough to absorb the considerable amount of bird droppings being generated.

To counter the effects, I planted a Ceanothus shrub in a large pot (here in California, they're known as half wine barrels.) The idea is that the droppings will fall onto the shrub and get worked back into the soil, where it will act as compost. I've also started keeping the tube feeder only partially full, so that only four of the six perches can be used. The idea is to reduce the number of birds who can feed at one time.

I've spent the past few days reading a variety of websites about the health effects of bird droppings, and some of the material is pretty scary. The amount of bacteria and disease can be very hazardous. Most of the material warns against using bare hands when cleaning feeders. I'm just not sure that this space is suitable for a feeder that produces this amount of droppings. In addition to the size of the deck, there's a small table that we use for meals when the weather is warm.

We'll be heartbroken if we have to take the feeder down, but we're concerned about the health effects on us, our cats, and on a possible child that may be joining our family. We have no yard at all, and our unit is pretty small.

For a couple photos of the porch and the Ceanothus, please see the following images:

http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i465/sanfrancisconewbie/?action=view&current=planter.jpg

http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i465/sanfrancisconewbie/?action=view&current=birdporch.jpg

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about our situation? Do you think buying another planter, or taking some other action, would be enough to absorb the droppings, or is this space simply too small?

Many thanks, and great to join your community.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!