SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden_for_life

asiatic lilies

garden_for_life
11 years ago

Does anyone know what is going on? My Asiatic lilies are all in different spots, yet all except for the "Vermeer" ones did not bloom in a normal manner - buds were misshapen and much smaller than normal and much less of them. Do you think it is due to spraying them too much for the red lily beetles during the growing season? The ones I can remember are: pixie, Negro, Star gazer, about 4 others I can't remember the names.

Comments (14)

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

I do not know if you poured too much poison on your lilies. But I know that I have had lily beetles all my life and I have not lost a single lily to them. The beetles are SO CONSPICUOUS that it is nearly impossible not to notice them, and they are very easy to kill. No need to use poisons on them. It is like using a sledgehammer to kill a louse.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I have had Asiatic lilies killed by them that were tucked in out-of-the-way spots. I don't know if there are natural controls for them in Europe or not. However, I have found that oriental-trumpet hybrids seem fairly resistant to them so that's what I plant now since I don't use insecticides.

Misshapen buds sounds like a sucking insect. Do you have photos?

• Related Discussions

LF: LA Lily Royal Trinity and Asiatic Lily Dolly Madison

Q

Comments (0)
    I have Asiatic Grand Cru to trade or please see my trade list. I also have tall pink Phlox to trade.
    ...See More

Have Turkscap Lilies, Asiatic Lilies, Prayer Plant, Violets...

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi gardenbench, Are you certain these are native Turk's-cap Lily Lilium superbum which have a green star at the center, as opposed to the more common introduced Lillium lancifolium which I think is what I already have. If so, please drop me an email, and we'll see what I can find of interest to you. I have some things in lesser quantities that are not listed. Sue...aka chemocurl
    ...See More

WANTED: Asiatic Lily Bulblets or Rain Lily Bulblets

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi I can't email you *or* see your trades...email me, will ya? I have a lot of Asiatic lilies, but I wasn't planning on digging them. Maybe if I see your list I'll be more motivated LOL! LIme
    ...See More

Companion to Easter lily and Asiatic lily in a container

Q

Comments (12)
    Where are you located that Easter lilies bloom in March?? That is NOT typical!! These are a summer blooming lily (Lilium longiflorum) and their standard bloom time is June and July and maybe as late as August. Blooming in March is not the normal time anywhere! They only bloom at Easter if forced to by the specialty growers. I've grown many Easter lilies over the years, both from dormant purchased bulbs and from recycled living plants received as gifts. One planted in the garden, they will bloom at their normal time of midsummer, even in my very mild climate.
    ...See More
  • wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Yes, there are natural controls here in Europe. They are called gardeners. Besides, my local sparrows have learned to eat the larvae, so using poisons is not an option. No lily is resistant (I have all types of lilies,more than 100 of them, it takes 5 minuts to check them and kill the beetles), but Lilium davidii is less prefered(the leaves are perhaps too narrow). I have read several threads on the lily forum. Some people try to whip up the sentiment that it is like a plague of Biblical proportions. IT IS NOT LOCUST that we're talking about.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Most of my lilies have small and distorted flowers this year, and yes, bud count is low.

The reason for it -- it is freeze damage from the numerous freezes we had back in April as the new growth was emerging. Very common when lilies are exposed to freezing temps in the spring.

Perhaps this happened to yours as well.

I have gone out some years and covered them to save them from the one or two nights of freezes, but this year was hopeless. After having a series of days in March where the highs hit the 80s and even 90 two days, we had frosts and freezes probably 2 nights out of 3 in April, capped off by a freeze of around 26 degrees the last weekend in April.

• marquest
    11 years ago

Weather related problem probably. I am having the weird all lilly bloom year. Asiatic, Oriental, LA you name it there is something different, strange, bud abort etc this year more than any years I can remember.

The most important thing to do is to try to give them a good dose of bulb booster and keep them watered so they get strong enough to bloom good next year. The weather this year has stressed the bulbs tremendously.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Europe has parasitic wasps on the lily beetles, which were released in MA and have established, so we may develop natural controls.

Interesting about the cold damage. That's something I've never witnessed, but perhaps it's because we are cold enough that either our ground freezes deeply enough or the snow covers the ground long enough to keep them dormant until we are past frost damage. We often end up with almost no spring, going in a matter of a very few weeks from late winter to full summer.

• roxanna
    11 years ago

wieslaw, you might try to be a bit more sympathetic toward those of us across the pond who are battling with the red lily beetle. YOU live in Denmark, we don't have the natural predator contols you do (yet).

'we're plagued by the things. Grrrrrr. Unfortunately, these nasty eating machines have no natural predators in North America, so they're pretty much free to run rampant over our gardens, taking out our lilies and Fritillaria at will. Apparently certain parasitic wasps exist already as controls in Europe.

Biological control using natural lily leaf beetle predators shows the most promise for controlling the spread of this invasive scourge. Although the beetle has no natural predators in North America, the University of Rhode Island Biological Control Laboratory, in collaboration with CABI-Bioscience and colleagues in France, has identified several European insects that parasitize the lily leaf beetle grubs. The ant-sized parasitic wasps lay eggs on the beetle grubs, which subsequently hatch and kill their host. These insects have been released at research sites in all New England states and are proving effective at decreasing the lily leaf beetle populations for at least several miles in the surrounding areas. These controls are not yet commercially available for gardeners, but show long-term promise.'

it's very disheartening to see the damage done to our lilies by this pest. i do not use pesticides normally, but i do resort to one for this situation -- Bayer Rose and Garden Spray in the bright blue bottle. it is the best way to keep these beetles at bay as long as one does not apply in breezy conditions or when beneficial insects/bees are present. as a systemic pesticide, the application works for 4-6 weeks and can then be re-applied to keep the lilies beetle-free.

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Roxanna, I am sympathetic, but not to the degree to encourage wide use of various poisons to control the pest. Wasps will not eliminate the beetles. If it was the case, Europeans would be beetles-free, but we are not. We(I) just learned to live with it. The lily beetles feed largely only on lilies and fritilaria. It is not like every garden in USA is surrounded by the vast fields of lilies . I have seen films from America and I know it is not. So population of beetles will never be as large as some people try to depict it.

How many beetles do you squash daily? Honestly?

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    11 years ago

I agree with all of you. Red lily beetles have not yet reached my area (knock on wood), but I am terrified of their arrival. While we are not surrounded by fields of lilies here, enough of my neighbors grow lilies to provide a vast amount of food for this pest when it arrives.

However, like wieslaw59, I am cautious to employ poisons to control this pest, especially with imidacloprid which is the active ingredient in Bayer. Yes, it does control lily beetles and many other nasty pests, but it will also kill bees and other beneficial insects. Spinosad will also kill beneficials.

To get back to the original topic, I agree with denninmi that the original poster's lily problems are likely weather related. While I was lucky to get no late freezes, quite a few of my lilies aborted their buds due to heat and extremes of moisture. And quite a few more have produced distorted or deformed flowers.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

My lilies are kind of strange this year also, and I think its due to the weather. They are blooming earlier than usual, but are shorter, for the most part. My orientals are already in bloom or about to bloom. My Oranias, which are usually almost six feet tall, have blooms ready to pop at three feet.

I also have some misshapen buds too, as well as beetle damage. Other than the darn beetles, I had been attributing the damage to the weather - too hot too early, then colder than usual, then lots of rain, then sustained 90-degree temps for days, etc.

Dee

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    11 years ago

I think I recall reading somewhere that height of established lilies can depend on soil temperatures during crucial growth periods. If the soil heats up too much when a lily is sprouting and forming stem roots, it will go directly into growth mode at the expense of root production and therefore cannot sustain normal height.

Newly planted lilies, of course, are almost always shorter their first season. Also like the above, this is due to limited root production.

• miclino
    11 years ago

There are bigger fish to fry than folks that occasionally spray their lilies. In the US it is the huge amount of water wasted and chemicals dumped in the name of getting perfect green lawns.

Wieslaw, you have to take into account the fact that not everyone can spend time in the garden chasing down beetles. I know folks on here go after individual japanese beetles. I cannot even imagine having the time to do that.

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Miclino, lily beetles is not something you chase. They are not running anywhere. The procedure is : YOU SEE IT YOU SQUASH IT(two nails is enough). It is as simple as that. There is absolutely nothing more in it. No need to rip your clothes to shreds in despair. If somebody has THAT little time , then why grow lilies in the first place? You will have to find time once you have them , or if one is THAT lazy , quit growing lilies

• garden_for_life
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much, I am sure it is the weather now. denninmi , marquest, diggerdee, and ispahan - I agree with you all. We had the same weather in upstate NY - summer in March, 3 hard freezes in April, now drought and broiling conditions. But I'm relieved to know that the damage isn't permanent.