SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sptiger

Garden Tractor Recommendations

sptiger
16 years ago

Hi,

I posted this in the 'Lawn Mower' section, but it was recommended that I post it here.

I'm new to the forum but I have done a bit of reading here. I have a John Deere L120 mower and the transmission is almost dead after a little over 300 hours of use. I bought the mower new in the spring of 2003, so this would be my fifth season of use. I cut two acres with a considerable amount of hills. The problem is after about twenty or thirty minutes of use it gets noticeably slower going uphill, and reverse is almost nonexistent. After a while it just stops when you try to go up any hill no matter how small. I've read a few threads here on the very same subject. I've also read where one user here, I can't remember who, describe the transmission on those mowers as being "the Bic lighters of transmissions".

Anyway, my dilemma is obvious. I have decided to do what I need to do to get the mower running, then sell it and get a new mower with a sturdier transmission.

Could someone recommend a garden tractor in the $3,000 range with a 48" deck? I really like a hydro transmission, but I just want a mower with a transmission that will last more than 4 & 1/2 years.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions