SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lionheart_gw

Garter Snakes Arrived; Worms Gone

Garter snakes have taken up residency in the finished part of the compost heap. The earthworms, one of the garter snake's favorite foods, are nowhere to be found.

I really like the snakes, as they eat baby voles and mice, but also earthworms, so this presents a bit of a quandary. The garter snakes look very well-fed indeed.

Also, the compost pile has been visited by either a skunk or raccoon looking for tasty morsels. There has been digging and some turning up of the compost, so it seems to be a very attractive place to a host of mammals and reptiles. There's a whole lot of stuff going on out there while I'm sleeping. :-)

Anyhow, I guess the worms won't be back until the snakes leave. Given the vole and chipmunk population, I don't think the snakes will be leaving too soon; pickings are good.

Btw, this is the 2nd year that the snakes have made a home in the compost pile over the summer. I really didn't check for earthworms last year, so I don't know if they disappeared when the snakes came to visit. I don't know if the snakes made a winter home in the area, but I haven't seen them until this week, so I don't think so.

The only thing in my compost is about a million pounds of grass clippings, a bit of cardboard and newspapers, and a few bags of coffee grounds courtesy of Starbuck's. I do not use chemicals or fertilizers on my lawn -- er, weeds -- so there's no problem with that.

After that, I pretty much ignore the compost until it's time to plant something or do some mulching. It's great looking stuff, but how long can we go without worms?

I will just leave the snakes alone because they're wonderful creatures, but I'm worried about the lack of worms.

If we move more worms into the area, they will either go deep to escape (I imagine) or become food, which doesn't help that whole compost thing too much.

What would you do, if anything? Thank you!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting