SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janegael

How To Turn/Build a Pile Without Hurting Worms

JaneGael
14 years ago

I chopped a pile of leaves this spring and never got around to making a compost pile. I decided to work on it this weekend and found it is just teeming with worms. I have some of the biggest nightcrawlers I've ever seen. I can't stick a shovel in there or even a fork without harming some of them.

I'm the kind of person who saves worms from sidewalks when its raining and I am as careful with them as I am every other living being. I also consider them treasures because when I moved in a few years ago there were no worms due to pesticides, herbicides and neglect. I've carried them home and put them in my garden when I've found them someplace and now I have a pile teeming with the little buggers.

My problem is that I'm having to go through the pile of leaves by hand to rescue the worms and relocate them in my garden. I'm wondering how on earth I will be able to turn the pile once I get it built if it is going to have worms in it. I don't have a container so its going to be sort of free-form. Once I add my manure will the heat keep the worms from coming back like they are now? I don't want to harm any of my treasures, so what do I do?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio