SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctlady_gw

Transplating trees from old Christmas tree farm?

ctlady_gw
16 years ago

Question for you tree folks: we may have an opportunity to buy some trees from a former Christmas tree farm that is currently being "bulldozed" for other purposes. Many are blue spruces, apparently, though some are balsams. We are in need of filling the end of a meadow with a mix of conifers to block the view of a new house, and it was suggested that the owner of this farm might be willing to dig some of the trees and move them to our meadow. (He has already bulldozed quite a bit of the former farm, so we will have to decide quickly if we want them.)

He of course won't provide any sort of guarantee and we wouldn't ask for one under the circumstances, and we have no idea yet of what he might charge (so this may all be a moot point!), but my question is this: assuming these trees are in the 6-8 foot range, how likely is it that they would survive an abrupt transplant like this, given they've had no preparation (like root pruning) in preparation? We have only had nursery stock in the past, which of course was conditioned and burlapped and the whole nine yards. We are told these trees would be dug with an excavator, wrapped in burlap (the root ball I assume), then trucked across town and replanted in our meadow, presumably within a fairly short timeframe. Has anyone done this and how well did the trees do? We could live with losing a few, but it would clearly not be worth the effort or expense if we would expect to lose the majority...

Any suggestions/advice welcome! Would some tree varieties fare better than others? (i.e., blue spruce vs. balsams?)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022