SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakedallasmary

what makes soil turn to clay or sand

lakedallasmary
16 years ago

I have been searching for this info all day.

I read someplace I think that clay is formed verses sand in response to things like heat and amount of rainfall.

I would think sand exists where there is more water running through the soil, but then deserts are sand. hmmm....

I am in north central Texas. We have lots of clay here. I added lava sand to the soil. It turned unto clay. I added lava sand to a holes that I had dug for a bean pole tea pea. I added wood mulch to other holes. It was sort of an experiment to see if either help plants to grow. I never usually dig, cause I am no till, but was just messing around.

I won't do that sort of thing again since, supposedly adding something like wood chips underground causes anaerobic activity. I know you are only supposed to add stuff to the top as nature does, and not till in.

Anyway, I dug around a few poles since I forgot which poles I added what to. When I found the lava sand, it had compacted like clay and did not feel like sand anymore. I know lava sand is ground up rock. I think rocks turn to clay from compaction. I know Vermont pretty much is a rock. Lots and lots of granite. I used to live there, and I believe the soil was on the sandy side. We lived in a valley. Do valley conditions make for sand, and prairie make for clay? We are a prairie condition, or flat land as the Vermonters used to call us. (flat landers)

I have a very large ash tree in my side yard. Nothing much wants to grow under there. It is blocked in by the house and two fences so the ground gets little light. The strange thing is the soil seems sandy there. Is the ash making the soil sandy?

There is this park down the street where all the drainage water runs to. There is a pond type thing and a stream from the water runoff. The soil over near the stream is sandy. I am so confused about how soil decides to become sand or clay.

Someone e-mailed me and said they added compost to their sand and it disappeared. It is like the compost turned to sand it seems. It is like the environment makes the soil what it want it to be. I find this curious.

I googled things like: How does soil become clay. How soil forms. Never got my question answered. I am sure I could search for something more appropriate.

Ok I just found

this site

it says

Sand is formed as a result of the weathering and decomposition of igneous, sedimentary, or metamorphic rocks

Still need more info, to stop scratching my head.

Forgive me if the question seems to dumb or simplistic

Comments (17)