SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colleenv_gw

WANTED: Native Plant Seeds for a School Garden

colleenv
14 years ago

Hello, all!

It's been so long since I've posted on this forum. Been reading a lot (and getting ready for wintersowing -- woohoo!) but haven't had a whole lot to say lately :-)

Anyway, my oldest daughter started school this year, and as luck would have it, she's at the same school I went to as a child. I spent some of the happiest times of my childhood at Beacon Elementary, and wanted to give something back now that my own children will be going there. The natural solution was for me to volunteer to redesign and replant the school gardens, which have declined badly over the years. I have no budget. I'm begging for plants and a redbud tree from local nurseries, but it makes sense that most of the plants will come via wintersowing.

The site is shady, and because the plants need to be able to stand up to both environmental stresses and having small children running around and over them, I decided to focus on native plants. If anyone has seeds or plants of the following and would be willing to donate them to this project, you will have my eternal thanks. Thanks in advance!

Seeds/Plants We Need:

Aquilegia canadensis (Columbine)

Anemonella thalictroides (Rue Anemone)

Aster cordifolius (Heart-leaved Aster)

Aster lateriflorus (Calico Aster) (Really, we'll take any aster you've got! :-) )

Eupatorium purpureum (Sweet Joe Pye Weed)

Geranium maculatum (Wild Geranium)

Polygonatum canaliculatum (Solomon's Seal)

Thalictrum dioicum (Early Meadow Rue)

Basically, we're limited by not only the budget, but the fact that it's a northern exposure garden, so fairly shady. Also, I'm hoping to find plants that bloom in spring and fall, when the children and staff can enjoy them.

Thanks again!

Colleen

Comments (2)

Sponsored