SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul44965

Oil leaking from my briggs engine

paul44965
13 years ago

I ran across a post from about a year ago about an oil leak from a briggs engine and it sounds a bit like the problem I have. I have a Craftsman 54" lawn tractor with a Briggs V-twin 24HP (Model #445677-0413-E1). While mowing through some heavy grass my mower lost power all of a sudden and began to smoke. I shut it down immediately and checked under the hood. There was a significant amount of oil leaking from somewhere above the oil drain plug. The leak seemed to stop when I shut down the engine and started again when I turned it over. Curiously there does not seem to be significant oil loss, as indicated by the dipstick. I have the Briggs repair manual for my engine. I should also note that when I turn the motor over by hand I can hear a sucking sound somewhere down by the dipstick tube. I also noticed an oily residue in the carb intake. Does this sound like a problem with the crank case breather, a leaking o-ring on the dipstick tube, or a blown sump gasket? Or do I just have to start with the simplest repair and work my way down to pulling the motor entirely? Any help you can provide would be great.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions