SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dooley_of_gw

MTD 820 - sticky Shifting linkage

16 years ago

Just recently my shifting linkage became sticky. It seems to bind when trying to go from neutral to High/Low/Reverse.

Once in gear I have no problems at all..leading me to believe it has more to do with the shifting linkage somewhere than the transmission itself.

I can get it into these ranges without too much effort but I'd rather try and correct the problem if there is one before it gets worse.

Any ideas on what to try or look for?

Comments (6)

• 16 years ago

No idea what a MTD 820 is,but are you refering to a manual gearbox,or a "hydro"??I always look into my manual under tranmision,for the particular unit in qestion.. JMHO tbk

• 16 years ago

If going into gear, you have to hold it toward the range you want, then let up on the pedal slightly, then it
    clicks in, I would not worry too much.
    Does it click into these positions easily when the engine is off?, if so, the belt may be slightly turning the trans pulley. Make sure you have the correct belts.
    Has this problem just started?

Fish

• 16 years ago

MTD 820 manual (but you can increase forward drive speeds while in motion).

Engine on/off makes no difference to the behavior it seems and the problem just recently cropped up.

Before it used to slide into position effortlessly now it requires a slight tap and when coming out of a position , it almost seems to be binding on something.

Visually inspected and all it is is a rod that goes into the transmission housing and it isn't binding on anything I can see.

• 16 years ago

On transmissions, there usually is a couple of set screws, allen headed, that can be removed, and underneath
    there are springs, and under the spring, is a ball bearing
    They are called detent balls and keep the shifted "clicked"
    into the spot they need to be. Try removing them and inspecting them, if you see a lot of rust, then that would be your problem, you might be able to add some lubricant
    drops in the holes and it may help.

• 16 years ago

I too have no clue what a MTD 820 is? But, if it has a drive belt to the transmission I would make sure it's not cracked, worn out, or have burned spots. I would also look an the idler pulley and linkage before I would open up the transmission.

• 16 years ago

It has a high/low range and reverse, and a seperate lever for the speed selection, but the standard variable speed
    double belt/pulley setup.

Fish

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living