SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimc_vt

Cub Cadet 1554 2007

jimc_vt
16 years ago

Hello all, I have never bought a New Garden/Lawn tractor,I have always bought a used unit and fixed it up to use (I'm cheap) But I am now getting to the age that a new tractor is looking kinda good ,and was wondering if anyone own the Cub Cadet 1554 ? It's 3k at Tractor supply ,and it looks as if my butt will fill the seat nicely ! BUT for 3k ,what else should I be looking at ??? Thanks Jim

{{gwi:336756}}

Comments (31)

• passthegravy
    16 years ago

What are you going to use it for? Just mowing? Do you have hills or steep slopes? What size area will you be mowing?

The 1554 for $3,000 is a tough sell. Why? Because if you're just going to mow a relatively flat lawn, then there are a lot of mowers that will do the job and cost less money. For example, the JD LA130 is $2,000 and will do a fine job. In the $3,000 range, you can get into the JD X300 series.

And, if you are going to do more than mow and pull a yard cart around, you will need something more heavy duty. For $3,000, you can either buy a new Craftsman DSG6500, which is a real garden tractor, and have money left over, or you can buy a used high quality Garden Tractor. The garden tractors will have a heavier duty transmission and, probably, a better quality motor.

For a relatively small increase in your $3000 budget, you could buy one of the Cub Cadet 2500 series, which is a real garden tractor with a strong transmission and a shaft (instead of a belt) from the motor to the mower deck. I think they start at around $3500 for the 42" deck and I think the 2554 (with the 54" deck) is about $4,000 - $4,200.

So, it depends what your intended uses are. Tell us more.

• Related Discussions

DGS6500 or Cub 1554

Q

Comments (6)
    "I am constantly hauling rocks for the stone walls that I am constantly building." That just sounds funny....sounds like a complaint, but it really is more of a labour of love.... if you "keep building" the walls... and haul enough rocks... 10-20 years from now, there will be no lawn left!.... anyway... here is some data. The cub uses Hydrogear trannies. The series produces anywhere from 200 to 260 ft-lbs of torque. Just for comparison, that range is what JD used in their LX machines - which were considered LTs not GTs. Interestingly, when you click on the Cub "product comparison" page, it produces a comparison list to 3 or 4 other tractors... which are all Lawn Tractors - not GTs. Makes you say "hmmmm"... why would Cub be comparing their GT to other manufacturers LTs? Anyway... the DGS uses the TT K66, with 310 ft lbs of torque, and it is truly rated for ground engaging duty. From where I sit, I see the Craftsman in the GT category, whereas I see the cub a bit below that. Note: for hauling loads up hills, a diff lock may come in handy - check out the Husqvarna model 2346XLS
    ...See More

Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, and Toro

Q

Comments (15)
    Well, I looked at a Cub Cadet GT1554 today, along side of a Husqvarna YTH 2454 Lawn tractor. 'Not the GTs that I plan to buy, but close enough to get a feel for each brands finer details and overall quality. Prior to that, I looked at a JD X500 just for an ultimate reference (The xenoy hood and the operator controls seemed equal to $3000 GTs; everything else seemed appropriate for a $5600 GT). The Cub's 54" mower deck looked pretty sturdy and had a full width trailing edge roller system on the back of the deck. The Husqvarna seem to be more carefully detailed/finished and the grease-zerks for the mower deck spindles were on top poking through the plastic guard nacelles; I couldn't see the Cub's mower spindle grease-zerks but the guard nacelles were sturdy metal. The wide front tires on the Cub (7.5") seems like a good idea for rolling over rough pasture. The Cub's hood had better ventilation for the engine, and I think the all plastic hood might muffle the engine slightly more than the Husky's half metal/half plastic hood. Decisions, decisions... If anyone reading my descriptions have purchased either the Cub Cadet GT2544 or Husqvarna 2748GLS tractors, or near equivalent to recent models Cub or Husky GTs, please chime in with your experience. Thanks.
    ...See More

Cub Cadet 2185

Q

Comments (1)
    I would pay a visit to the owner of both machines and look and them and try them out. I agree that a 54" deck is too big for your yard. Cubs do seem to give more problems according to what I have read, but I have never owned one. I would just as soon have a "good" used machune as a new one, but the trick is to find one.
    ...See More

cub cadet slt1554 pto clutch plug

Q

Comments (8)
    Tomplum, Again, thank you for your instructions. When I finally understood how the plug came apart, I slipped a pocketknife blade between the two pieces at two points to free up the parts as seen in the picture below (See A) and then I slipped a paperclip between the two pieces to hold the tab in. (See B). Sorry about the blurry picture. That allowed me to freely use both hands to use two pliers to carefully separate the two parts of the plug. (See C). PROBLEM SOLVED!
    ...See More
  • passthegravy
    16 years ago

Where does CC say the GT1554 is a garden tractor rated for ground engaging attachments? On their website they list it as a lawn tractor, and there are no ground engaging implements listed in the attachments for it. Also, what tranny is in it?

I could be wrong about this. I'm certainly no expert, but that's the way I read the information.

• jimc_vt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gentlemen there is a SLT and a GT ,The SLT is like 2.7k and the GT is 3k...I'm looking at the GT ....Ground engaging equipment is listed here for the GT ,I only plan on mowing with the 1554 and bagging grass etc,no mulching ...I'm 6'3" ,I just want a comfortable tractor ,for a guy my size...I'm 48,I hope to get at least 10 years out of the tractor ,and I mow only 1 acre of lawn,but may be mowing other lawns from time to time....
    Thanks again ,Jim
    ATTACHMENTS

190-964
    Tire Chains

190-032
    42" Snow Thrower

190-833
    46" Dozer Blade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

190-671
    Tire Chain Set
    190-824
    Electric Sleeve Hitch
    190-013
    54" Mulch Kit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

190-784
    50 lb. Wheel Weights
    19A-102
    16 cu. ft. Cart
    190-825
    Hydraulic Tiller

19A-103
    42" Lawn Sweeper
    190-285
    54" Triple Bagger
    19A-104
    25 Gallon Sprayer

19A-105
    Broadcast Spreader
    19A-106
    10 cu. ft. Poly Cart
    19A-107
    40" Tow Behind Lawn Dethatcher

19A-108
    40" Tow Behind Lawn Plug Aerator
    19A-109
    40" Tow Behind Lawn Spike Aerator
    19A-113
    48" Push Poly Lawn Roller

• User
    16 years ago

passthegravy,

CC lists an electric sleeve hitch for the GT1554. That would imply that you can put implements on the sleeve hitch and use them.

I believe I read that the GT1554 uses the Hydrogear 3000 tranny which is one of the trannys used in the Sears DSG6500. The Sears can also have a Tuff Torque but it's tranny roulette. You have to wait for delivery and look under the seat for a sticker to tell you what tranny you got and.

jimc vt,

If you have a good Cub Cadet dealer who provides service after the sale then buy the CC GT1554. You won't find more tractor for the money.

If you don't have a good CC dealer then find a good dealer and buy what they sell.

• lb59
    16 years ago

It's 3k at Tractor supply,

Posted by jimc_vt
    --------------------------------
    Why buy it at a box store?
    It hain't any cheaper there!

In my book 3 thousand is to much money for any lawn tractor.
    If you're going that high put a little more with it and get a garden tractor and have something to show for your money.

• jimc_vt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

In yesterdays paper "Better power" in Waterbury Vt has advertised a 2554 for $3100.00,shaft drive is the selling point over the GT1554,but has a smaller deck (42") ,I have shaft drive on both my Ole simplicity and snapper,but then a v-belt transfers the power to the actually tranny....I may just have to check out the 2554 ,but I'm gonna look at the JD to to make a comparrison....and maybe the sears ...see ya Jim

• passthegravy
    16 years ago

Jim, if the tractor advertised has a 42" deck, it's not a 2554. It would be a 2542. The 2554, as you might have deduced, has a 54" deck, and is several hundred dollars more expensive than the 2542 with the 42" deck.

• jimc_vt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Your correct ,a 2542 for 3k....a 2554 is app.$4100.00...Seems like a lot of cash to mow an acre ????Jim

• machiem
    16 years ago

It's your money, but you don't NEED a garden tractor to mow 1 acre and pull a cart.

If you intend to do other things that require a garden tractor or you just "want one", then by all means get one.

By the same token, you don't need a quad cab diesel dually truck to drive 10 miles to work and occasionally tow a 3500 lb. trailer. Some people do it though.

• troller_mo
    16 years ago

Something you'll also want to consider with the new Cub Cadets is that the tractor's hood opens from the front-end(rear hinged) and is assisted with hydraulic shocks which won't allow the hood to open up very far to service or repair, which means the hood might have to come off. For this reason, I went with a Craftsman GT5000 model in 2005. For 2007 Sears calls their GT models a MTS(monster tractor series). Yeah go ahead and laugh, I did when I entered the store to get a oil filter for my GT.

• jsharpscs
    16 years ago

I went through the same thing as the OP before I bought my Cub 2554 a year ago. As has been said, $3000 is a lot of $ for what amounts to a large but none too heavy duty lawn mower. Spend another few hundred to $1K and I think you'll be happier down the road. Especially if you start using it more or buying ground engaging accessories...

• passthegravy
    16 years ago

Jim, $3100 for a 2542 is a pretty good deal in my opinion. Doesn't it list for about $3500-$3600? That's a real garden tractor, with shaft drive, and 42" deck is plenty for one acre.

The hood opening wouldn't be a big deal to me. My JD GT235 opens the other way, but the air filter is up front, so the front opening hood is somewhat in the way for air filter changes. No biggie.

• jsharpscs
    16 years ago

The hood on the 2500 series Cubs opens plenty far to do any routine service easily. In fact, you could pull the engine if you wanted with the hood still attached.

The 2500's are substantially more heavy duty in every way than the AYP/Sears/Husky/Poulan tractors. That extra $100 for a 2542 will get you a smaller deck but a much better tractor overall...

• jimc_vt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All I have ever owned is Garden tractors,the Simplicity 2010 is old,but a GT ,and the Snapper is a GT-1841,I'm 6'3" guys,I don't look good on LT's, I look like a circus bear riding a bike (see the mental picture here) yes 1 acre is not huge ,but I don't mind cutting down some of the mowing time either,and I want to bag grass leaves and pine needles with whatever it is I buy....I want comfort!!! and a dependable rig....I gotta stop by the Local Sears and see what they have .....winter is just around the corner ,tractors will be on sale !

Oh, I only drive app 15 miles to work ....in this ...it's not a dually,but it's got the 7.3 litre turbo w/a hyper chip ....think it can pull the new tractor around????
    See Ya Jim
    {{gwi:336757}}

• lb59
    16 years ago

In yesterdays paper "Better power" in Waterbury Vt has advertised a 2554 for $3100.00, shaft drive is the selling point over the GT1554,
    1*but has a smaller deck (42")
    2*, I have shaft drive on both my Ole simplicity and snapper,but then a v-belt transfers the power to the actually tranny...
    .I may just have to check out the 2554 ,but
    I'm gonna look at the JD to make a comparrison....and maybe the sears ..
    Posted by jimc_vt z3Vt (My Page) on Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 7:46
    1*What do you mean has a smaller deck ?
    The gt1554 and the gt2554 both have the same size 54'' deck.
    But the 2554 is a much heavier duty stronger built tractor.
    2*That's where the CC gt2554 has it all over them. The 2554 CC has a drive shift direct from the engine to the transmission. No belt at all.
    You will have to look at the JD x500 and x700 series to find the comparison.
    Forget the sears there is just no comparison between it and a CC gt2554.

$3100 isn't bad for the used 2554 - new is about $4200.

• machiem
    16 years ago

I've never bought tools, mowers, cars or appliances based on how I would look using them.

"Honey, does this chainsaw make me look fat?"

A horizontal striped shirt could potentially save you a bunch of money because it would make you appear shorter while driving a lawn tractor.

• jimc_vt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

But the shirt won't make me more comfortable on a smaller tractor ,I may look more comfortable,to the neighbors,but "I" want to be confortable ......as I stated earlier, I have never purchased a new tractor ,if I do,I want it to fit ....like a glove ! Jim

• machiem
    16 years ago

You'll need to go visit dealers and test drive some stuff. I know my Kubota T-1670 would easily do what you want (fit, form, function and price) but it's not a GT. It doesn't appear you need one though.

Perhaps look into a ZTR? There's usually nothing in front of you except the mowing deck, so you could stretch out.

The only way you'll know if something fits is to try them out.

• altbob
    16 years ago

I bought my slt1554 cub cadet in 2005 and I could not be happier with it. it mows 3 acres with ease. it pulls a 20 cubic foot wooden lawn cart full of firewood with no problem, it will be pulling a lawn roller when I get one for it. it also pulls an agrifab pull behind 5 horse tiller,with no trouble at all. I paid $2299.00 for it at my local cc dealer. you will love the cruise control and the comfortable seat, and the plug in 12volt receptacle. you can plug in a cheap converter box and run your electric chain saw or hedge trimmer with it. it sounds great, like a harley. I have 170 hours on it and had only one problem with it. the belt pulley was loose and tore up the belt. the dealer picked it up, offered me a loaner, and brought it back fixed,washed, and no charge for anything. the gt1554 is only different because it has a heavier duty transmission and at the time I bought mine, the gt also had 23 inch tires on it and bigger front tires as well. mine has 22 inch tires. frame is the same, options are the same. mower deck the same. unless you are gonna run that hydraulic tiller, or be pulling heavy wagonloads of firewood up steep hills a lot, or some other kind of extreme use, save yourself 500 bucks and buy the slt. take the 500 you save and get yourself a couple of cub cadet implements for it. or go on ebay and outfit it really nice with every used implement you could possibly need.

• passthegravy
    16 years ago

Posted by altbob:

". . . my slt1554 cub cadet . . . . it sounds great, like a harley. "

????? Hmmmmmmm. Must have the special Harley Davidson version of the Kohler Courage engine in it. Frankly, I've never heard any lawn tractor that sounded even remotely like a Harley.

• altbob
    16 years ago

well, then you need to get to your local cub cadet dealer and start one up right now! I take it you wear a green hat eh? oh, and when you get there ask the salesman about the optional yellow saddlebags as well. they might even have them in green.

• passthegravy
    16 years ago

Please help me. I'm just trying to figure out why that Kohler engine in a Craftsman or Yardman or Huskee lawn tractor doesn't sound anything like a Harley, but when it is bolted into a Cub Cadet it does. I need to understand the science behind it.

• jsharpscs
    16 years ago

The Cubs have a "V-Twin sound" but I don't think they sound like a Harley. Mine reminds me of an old Honda CX-500. Now a John Deere model A on the other hand. They do sound like they were made in Milwaukee.

That's not meant to insult the green hat guys by the way...

• altbob
    16 years ago

there is no science behind it, unless yer kinda slow, you turn the key, then it starts up, and then you hear it. that's it. no science, just basics I guess. jsharps said it better than I did, you know it's a v-twin the instant you hear it. I said "harley" because that is the most recognizable v-twin sound there is in my neck of the woods, but if I were to choose a particular bike, if that's what you mean by "science" well then it sounds like one of those smaller v-twin harley buells like a buell blast. it just has that unmistakable v-twin sound to it, really, I thought this was an easy one. I guess some people hear things differently, or read text differently, *oh well.

• passthegravy
    16 years ago

Unfortunately, the Buell Blast is a single-cylinder, so I doubt you've been hearing any v-twin sound coming from one of those.

I'm not criticizing your Cub. I think they are fine machines. (I have a JD and a Scotts (Murray) version, but I'm not a brand loyalist, and I had just about decided to buy the Cub 2554 before I found the used JD on craigslist.)

I just thought the comparison to a Harley was funny because I've always thought that lawn and garden tractor motors have an irritating sound. (Some people think Harleys are irritating also, but usually because they're too loud.) My Scotts has a 15hp single-cylinder Kohler Command in it, and it sounds horrible to my ears. The Briggs Vanguard in the JD sounds better.

Anyway, sorry if I offended you. Just funnin' really.

• greenhobby
    16 years ago

Actually there is science behind the Harley sound. In fact they have patented the sound. dubdub, dubdub, dubdub. I love the sound, but would be a little concerned if my tractor sounded like it ;-)

-gh

• altbob
    16 years ago

my mistake, maybe I was thinkin of that thunderbolt or whatever buell calls it, it's a smaller version of a harley v-twin that has the gas and oil in the frame instead of the tank. no offense taken. it's not loud like annoying, it just sounds good. my old tractor had a briggs i/c fifteen horse single cylinder that was twice as loud as this kohler twin 27 horse is. I don't know, maybe cub uses a better muffler.

• jsharpscs
    16 years ago

I'm not sure I'd call it "science" that gives the old Harley's their sound. It's caused by the 45º V angle with both rods on a common crankpin, along with the firing order. Both cylinders fire on the same revolution.

Overall, it's an excellent setup if you're trying to build an industrial vibrator.

But to me, I think engines that sound like that belong in a field pulling a plow...

• passthegravy
    16 years ago

altbob, you were thinking of the Buell XB line. I had one of the earlier models (called a Thunderbolt) when they were tube-framed. And, yes, they sound great.

Man, have we hijacked this thread or what? My apologies to the OP.

• vstabill_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I got lucky and found a left-over NEW '08 GT2554 for $2995!! The dealer later admitted he priced it $1000 less than he should but sold it to me anyway because he felt obligated to do such. Needless to say I will frequent his place to "make it up to him". Great tractor!!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions