SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarletdaisies

Soil/ Slow growing root vegetables

scarletdaisies
13 years ago

I was reading over what might cause slow growing root vegetables, potassium was my conclusion, or potash. Not hard to get, but what else could it be?

I will remind you I have bad soil, first year composting over the whole thing like lasagna style, but with lots of leaves and house scraps. It overwintered fine, I got plants to grow that couldn't for two years, peas and pumpkins to be exact. I know next year will probably fix my problems, but the garden I have out might be able to get a quick fix now.

My turnips have been planted since March, it rained on them so much I was lucky to have any and recently added a few to the few, about 12 or 13 plants only. They are only about a fourth of an inch thick, maybe less, maybe more.

The same with my beets,planted in the middle or end of April, they were replanted several times, have about 10 of them only. I am just planting a little of everything. They are pencil thin, not even as thick as a pencil, 1/10th of an inch? My carrots are only an inch or two long, with bushy tops, not much carrot.

It's June, the cabbage I planted stood there, still about 10 leaves sticking out of the whole plant, so weather had some to do with their in activity, but what would seriously slow the root growth of soil? I have silt type, built up to do much, much, much, better, but still not good at all.

I am already planning for next year and would like to know if I add a lot of potash to my soil, along with other great nutrients like leaves and peelings of all kinds, would this straighten out?

Any thoughts on where to aim with the compost?

Comments (5)