SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jelc_gw

What tractor for 9 acres?

jelc
16 years ago

Hi... I have been lurking for a while on this forum. I live in So Cal, and I have a six year old MTD made riding mower (13 hp Tecumseh OHV single engine, no oil filter). I have been using this YardMachine for mowing and light hauling around my 1 + acre property.

I am moving next year to Colorado (El Paso county), where I am buying a 9 acre spread. It is about half heavily treed (pines), and half meadows, rolling terrain. The very long driveway will need to be snow plowed in winter.

I am sure my MTD riding mower will not be of much use there, considering the rolling terrain, and that I don't plan to have a lawn. What is the smallest modern tractor I could get away with, and what kind of money I am looking at for the tractor and implements? I would not mind buying used if it makes sense.

By the way, what implements would I need? I will have to haul tree branches and other wood debris, especially right after moving in as the lot will need to be cleaned. I will need to mow at least part of the meadows (belly mower, or?). Besides a snow plow or snowblower (which is best?), I would consider buying an implement to put fence posts in the ground. I don't think I will need to move earth, but that remains a possibility.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
More Discussions