SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fizeau

Transplanted Tree with no growth

fizeau
15 years ago

I found several trees last year in vacant lots while walking my dog. I did some root pruning as it was the middle of summer and I had time before a move. I grabbed them all up in the fall an replanted the same day. My maples have leafed out beautifully. I moved 4 oak (White Oak) also. One has leafed out fully, another has new leaves up to the middle of the tree. The other two have no new growth yet. They are supple and have green under the bark. One tree is fairly small, perhaps 1/2 in diameter at most, the other is larger, 14 feet high and around 2 inches in diameter. The dog chewed on the smaller one as well.

I knew I was reaching with the larger tree but, what the heck. There was significant root loss. It is still green under the bark, and the branches are not brittle. How long should I give it to leaf out? Anything I could do to help it along besides watering?

I did add some root stimulator to the soil at time of transplant. Otherwise, just water. These trees have been in place for about 6 months.

Thanks, Scott

Comment (1)