SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zimco88

Troy Bilt zero turn front wheel problems

zimco88
13 years ago

Hi all,

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but here's my solution.

I have owned a Troy Bilt Zero turn mower for about 2 years.

As with all zero turns they are meant for fairly flat areas,

But my problem came because the front steering didn't turn as well as it should.

On damp grass the rear tires would slip and dig up the grass under the drive tire on a turn.

Also the distance was so slim between the tire and the fork that holds it that grass would jam up between them causing the tire to freeze up and skid on the ground tearing up the grass.

I learned to watch for this and if the grass built up I would stop and back up clearing the grass from the wheel but leaving a glob of clippings on the ground.

I thought this was normal for all zero turn mowers, until the front tires became distorted and crooked almost like a belt inside the tire was broken.

Finally one tire became so distorted it bound up in the steering fork that holds it.

Troy Bilt wanted anywhere from $70.00 - $90.00 + shipping for 1 new wheel and tire, and delivery time was 10 days.

I went to Harbor Freight and purchased 2 #38943 10" Pneumatic Rigid Caster wheels which include the frame work, bearings, wheel, tire, and axle for $10.99 each.

The Harbor Freight frame sits almost perfect inside the original Troy Bilt frame. I welded the one from Harbor Freight inside the Troy Bilt one

If ever I need a new tire, wheel, or bearing the whole tire & hub assembly # 43612 costs $9.99 $5.99 on sale.

I have found this set-up to work great. It steers better and doesn't get clogged with grass because there is more clearance between the tire and frame work.

The only draw back I can see is the bearings aren't grease able, so I may drill the hub for a fitting to be able to grease them.

I hope this helps some one else out there.

Dave

Comment

Sponsored