SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
little_river_dog

Am I missing nutrients by only having browns about once a year?

little-river-dog
10 years ago

I've been composting for a long time, but the only browns I ever have are leaves in the fall. My lot is only 33x90 feet including the house and a garage, so hoarding leaves all year is a bit out of the question. I compost all the paper. I honestly fail to believe plain white paper has nutritional value.

My compost includes food scraps, coffee grounds, garden trimmings and grass. It does not smell. It is in 3 50 gallon plastic containers to please the city and keep my dogs from viewing it as lunch.

It is not wet, or offensive in any way that has been explained to me that should occur because I do not have browns. It has adjusted to being what it is. It even has tomatoes growing out the drain holes.

It is wonderful and I love it. I only wonder about one thing.

Am I missing out on nutrients because I have no browns?

I have enough problems because I have clay soil. I don't need more because my compost is lacking nutrients. I would cheerfully buy fertilizer to counteract any lack.

The first year I decided to garden here, I brought in enough horse manure from the race track to stand 18 inches high in the fall. the fences literally kept it from falling out. By spring it was 2 inches tall and I tilled it under. Its been 2 years and I have no clue how long I get to coast on that, but not forever. It did wonders for the top six inches of clay.
That steamed outdoors in Dayton Ohio and melted the snow.

But really, I have no topsoil except what I make. What do browns give me that greens don't?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional