SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Achilleas/Yarrows - opinions?

marcindy
14 years ago

I was wondering what you all think of the colorful yarrows that seem to appear more often in public plantings and along bike paths and sidewalks. I don't mean Coronation Gold or Moonlight, those are pretty well behaved. I am asking about the Terracotta series and other colored ones (I have seen pink ones, even purplish one that looked really good). I start to see them being used in a lot of public spaces and they look pretty good for a long time. The varieties I remember from a few years back were terribly weedy and invasive and very hard to get rid of. I am still pulling up occasional plants in odd places from a washed out pink one that a coworker gave me ten years ago. It spread everywhere, looked like extremely washed out pink after two days of a very nice pink color. The yarrow varieties I see lately seem to be better behaved in terms of not spreading everywhere. Do you have experience with them? Are they newer varieties? Is it time to reconsider about letting them back in my yard? :-) Thanks for all your input on this.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm