SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Mme Isaac Pereire--tell me all about her

kristimama
12 years ago

My husband zeroed in on one rose at the Celebration today--Mme Isaac Periere--and he told me it was his absolute favorite rose. (Which is rare for my DH to get that interested in the roses.) So now I'm wondering how it grows, so I can try to place it in my yard.

1) How thorny is it? (Gregg called it "medium" thorny and another gal I spoke with said most bourbons are in the "approach with gloves" category.) I usually try to avoid super thorny roses (with small kids in a very tiny yard) and I particularly avoid anything with bird-beak sized shark-teeth thorns. I just don't want to bleed when pruning or walking through my garden. ;-)

2) Are the canes bendy/pliable enough to train it on a pillar? ( I have more vertical space than horizontal.)

3) How does it handle lots of intense afternoon heat and poor clay soil? My house faces due west in the Walnut Creek area and our summers are hot and dry. Our clay soil is also less than friable & composty.

4) How often does it rebloom? Is it more like a once in spring/once in fall? Or does it go in flushes. (This might tell me which spot in the yard...)

5) What is its growth habit (tall, wide, and overall circumference?) My front planting bed is only about 3' from house to lawn in one area... if it can't go up vertically I may have to put it somewhere else on the property.

6) If it can't go around a pillar, can it handle being tied like an espalier on a trellis/cattle panel, flat up against the house?

One thing Gregg did say is that it is special enough to make a place for her in a yard. Just wondering *how* special.

Thanks,

KMama

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida