SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gmcman

O.K. Deere fans, help me decide

gmcman
15 years ago

I remember back in the mid 80's, sitting on the 318 and the 430...brand new, hoping we would get one. Turned out we just kept our Sears SS/16...which was a beast as well but no hydro. I'm starting to look for a 318 or possibly a 430 (garden 430) not the big one, but have some questions on what to look for.

I understand the Onan engine issue...expense and possibly a swap for a Honda, I like the 420 as well but the diesel in the 430 is nice.

Does the 420/430 both have the diff lock or just the 430?

What about the transmissions...what's their lifespan under light usage and are replacement parts avail or just expensive and avail?

For possibly a bucket...distant option, but mainly rear attachments, hauling heavy loads, would the 318 suffice or should I look for a 430?

I found a few 430's for about $3K which is a deal IMO compared to it's $10K price tag new and that's with the 60" mower....i'm ready to jump on it but need to do some homework first.

I have always wanted a 318 or the 420/420 and I think I need to re-kindle my earlier years :)

What about the 317...how does this compare to the 318?

I feel these tractors offer much more in their used condition than the newer models unless you spend some big $$$

Any input greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!