SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schwoopty

MTD stalls when mowing

schwoopty
13 years ago

Hi all, I have an MTD with a B&S 313707-0162-E5 engine that will let me mow for about 10 minutes and then wants to stall. If I disengage the mower and lower the throttle it will keep running. I'm using fresh gas, replaced the air filter, precleaner and fuel filter and the PTO belt and deck belts last month and removed the cover and blew out all the fins. I removed the deck and checked each of the pulley's and they are all spinning fine. Today I pulled the carb apart (Nikki) and cleaned with carb cleaner and blew out with compressed air (I expected to see debris in the bowl but everything was completely clean and looked new). I installed a new gasket (the paper one) but reused the Seal-O gaskets on the intake and air cleaner housing. I bought her new about 7 years ago and have never had a problem with her. I will admit that I've hit quite a few rocks....hit one last week that slightly bent one of the blades so I replaced it and finished mowing with no issues. Hit another one about 4 weeks ago that stalled the tractor, but it started right back up and kept going. I'm going to pickup a B&S 363 flywheel puller to check the key....any chance it could be a partially sheared key? I'm not a mechanic but I have tools and actually enjoy troubleshooting. Just not sure where to look next. Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions