SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
busybee123

Giant pines crowded by other trees - what to do?

CFT
11 years ago

This is my first post in the Tree Forum, so please bear with me as I know little about trees.

We purchased a fixer-upper with desperately overgrown landscaping almost 3 years ago & are finally ready to start focusing on some of the scarier areas along the back of the property. We have 2 very large pines (south tree: 40'+, 24"+ trunk diameter; north tree: 50'+, 36"+ trunk diameter. spaced 6' apart) in the SW corner between the end of our driveway & the neighbor's to the west that are badly crowded by other trees. The larger pine has a good sized tree (25' tall, 12" trunk diameter) growing right up against & all around it. This shady 12x20' area is also home to several other smaller trees (4-8" diameter), several large privets, some ground cover along the edges (not grass) & a bunch of junk. The region in front (north) of the larger pine's base slopes a bit downward/inward from each drive & becomes slightly flooded during heavy rains, sometimes remaining damp for a while afterward.

The location of the pines is concerning as windstorms & ice storms have wreaked havoc on our city in the past & weather typically moves in from the W/SW, potentially placing our house in the direct path should the trees happen to come down. The last thing we want to do is compromise the health of these pines.

(1) Do the crowding trees need to be removed? If so, must all of them go or just the most serious offender(s)?

(2) What impact will the remaining root systems of the removed trees have on the pines?

(3) If the crowding trees and other junk were to be removed, could we safely plant anything around these huge pines?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Comments (9)