SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lblack61

OMG...Seed Saving

lblack61
17 years ago

I spent almost all day separating and bagging seeds. It's either a labor of love or a labor of insanity, but, nevertheless, I'm rather enjoying it!

Can I just say that Eupatorium is probably my least favorite seed to deal with so far? I don't think there's enough Claritin on the shelves to save me from it!

Comments (6)

• mrsgalihad
    17 years ago

That's pretty funny. I spent several hours the other day picking and shelling castor bean seeds. I don't think I like them anymore. When they get all dry and ripe they get sharp and prickly. My fingers were sore when I was done. I think I'm going to let the rest of the seeds just fall to the ground. Normally I try to get every last seed but I don't know if I can stand it with these. Or maybe if the obsessive part of me that needs to get every last seeds gets to me I'll spread a sheet or something under the plant to catch the seeds as they fall. :)

• phyl345
    17 years ago

was this the 1st time you saved the castor bean seeds???i have a HUGE plant with 2 seed stalks....but i am reluctant to try to get the seeds...cuz they are so poisonous...actually, i was sorta thinking maybe the rabbits that are ravaging my plants might take a bite and....

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

It's insanity... so my DH tells me LOL!!
    I did have a few castor beans that self-sowed but they didn't pop up until end of July or I didn't notice them until then...either way they were seriously small and hidden.

phly1345,

You'll be fine as long as you don't eat'em and keep your hands away from your mouth just to be safe :D
    I did it 2 years in row, but most of the time, if they are ripe enough, they will pop open while in the paper sack!

Vera

• phyl345
    17 years ago

thanks vera...especially the last line!!!!!i will DEFINITELY try the paper bag thing...we are supposed to have a 29 degree nite on thurs; should they be picked before that? thanks, phyl

• lblack61
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So, don't sort Castor Bean seeds and eat popcorn at the same time...lol.
    Me, maybe I should sort seeds while wearing a mask...give my husband something else to laugh about :-)

• jim_6b
    17 years ago

I wonder sometimes how many hours we spend collecting, bagging, and then trying to trade or give them away. I've used at least 300 2x3 baggies so far and bought 200 more yesterday.
    Jim

Sponsored