SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merrygardens

Straw mulch

merrygardens
13 years ago

I have gone all in for the Ruth Stout method of mulching. I started with a bale or two, mulching around big-area plants (zucchini, brassicas) and noticed the dearth of weeds in those areas. So I got more bales and have covered everything, inluding outside paths, which had been covered with wood chips. The chips didn't really suppress weeds, and really got pushed around by our hard rains. I love the look, and I can step here and there if needed and keep my shoes clean. It has been decades since I read about Ruth, but still remember phrases from her description as I work in the beds: "If a weed does happen to make it through the mulch, it's easy to pull it up and drop it on the straw." "Just pull the straw aside and plant in the soil." (I'm sure my memory is somewhat faulty; did she use hay?)The straw nicely shades new seedbeds, as well, in a thin layer.

Anyway, for now I'm sold. Any others with this experience? I'm thinking I should make special provision for the slugs that will find (have found) shelter.

Comments (18)