SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_tosca

Strange 'death' of blooms

organic_tosca
15 years ago

Something strange has happened to our roses this Spring. They bloomed beautifully, but then some of the flowers "died" a strange death. It was if some of them had been zapped in mid-bloom. They got about halfway to full-bloom and then just stopped opening and got a kind of dried-rose look, never getting full-blown or dropping petals in the normal way. To me, they look slightly "burnt". From this stage, they simply decay. The foliage doesn't seem to be affected in any way. They are five hybrid teas, and all seem to have this "whatever", except for one quite healthy Olympiad, which is some distance from the others.

Can anyone tell me what this might be? I am pretty new to roses (to gardening in general, in fact), and I don't think it's anything I did - mainly because I didn't do much at all, just some careful pruning in February, and, a bit later, some alfalfa meal lightly scratched into the soil along the dripline.The odd thing is, they look really healthy and bloomed magnificently, except for what I described above.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments (4)