SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
batyabeth

Casuarina equisetifolia and its evil ways

batyabeth
11 years ago

I have one huge, old Casuarina equisetifolia, which I'm told in English is an ironwood tree. It's in the far corner of my garden and drops monstrous piles of dry, thin, pine-like needles which are blown all over. It makes the third point of a triangle with the monster eucs, within which is my whole garden. To my great chagrin they and the euc leaves make up over 90% of the leaves in the garden. I have been either raking them both up and piling them into a 3-sided bin under the tree to sit for a few years, or leaving them be as they and the euc leaves completely and thoroughly cover every inch of ground, raised bed and lasagna garden.

Just spent the morning filling that bin, despairing of the task of raking the whole garden of what are both supposed to be very bad trees and worse compost fodder. The web says ironwood ruins the area around it, takes all the groundwater and is very allelopathic.

I know we've all argued the eucs, but in combo with this bad boy, I'm discouraged. My compost is good and helps transform building rubble into something I can grow in, but the triple whammy of rubble+ironwood+eucs has got me goofy. What do y'all think?

Comments (31)