SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sudzy_gw

Compost tea-- does this sound good?

sudzy
15 years ago

Hi folks, my first message in these forums. I've been composting off and on for a few years but this is my first attempt at making CT. My purpose for the tea is to spray on the lawn. It's pathetic. sigh. 50% weeds and the rest an older grass cultivator.Lots of bear spots This is not my property, I rent so that and the fact that I have no extra funds I've made my tea very inexpensively. Does this mixture have a change of working?

I've paid attention Yes I mow at the highest setting already. But water might be a problem. I can't water here,its way too expensive.

Basically lawns been neglected for years. A few times I've put fertilizer down in the spring (none organic) and used a weed killer, but no where near excessively.

3 gal bucket of water

shovel of good garden soil

No pumps

1 t molasses

small ammt of cornmeal

found a bottle of OLD fish food --shrimp pellets-- so I dropped in a few.

Been stirring it half dozen times a day. It's been sitting for 48 hours.

Our weather here has been around 80deg with low humity but that's about to change! We're going to the 90's next couple of days.

My questions really are: is mixture ok?, how do I tell when it's finished?? Accordingly to what I've read on this forum it should start stinking up the joint!! lol..Does it mean

it's done?

Oh, forgot to mention, I'm working with heavy clay in some spots.

I do compost, I do make tons of leaf mold but that all goes for my Flower and veggie beds. Very little $ left for yard. So If I use compost tea and then spread some soybean meal or rabbit food on it now. And I plan on overseeding in the fall will this be enough to benefit my yard?

Many thanks for your replys and I just want to say that this site has a wealth of information which I find thoughly interesting. Thing is, I'm at the saturation point, read so much that my brain is spinning.

Comments (2)