SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
metten_gw

Eastern Redbud - Cause: Sections of tree suddenly appear dead?

MEtten
12 years ago

Hello,

I have an Eastern Redbud that is approximately 5 years old. We have noticed this past year during the typical growth season, that a few branches no longer carried leaves. Now, here we are in Illinois and in spring, and those same branches are now bare of flowers. Approximately 3/4 of the tree however, is blooming with flowers and looks healthy. I have read various articles on your site regarding common diseases to the redbud. The only noticable sign of anything, is that I see what appears to be a slight moss growing in the crotch of the branches. Otherwise, I do not see any signs of bugs. I will also add that this tree does reside curbside to our street in front of the house, where it is planted between the road side curb and sidewalk. I could also send a photo of the tree if it would help in identifying the reason for the two main branches being (what appears) to be dead. We are uncertain as to what to do. Does the tree need a treatment of sorts or should the fairly large branches be cut out?

Thank you for whatever insight you may be able to provide.

Sincerely,

MEtten

Comments (11)