SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northforker

Do you ever use Preen?

northforker
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am wrestling with myself on the question of using pre-emergents in the garden beds early in the spring.....

I haven't very much in the past, mostly because before discovering WSing, I really counted on all that "reseeding" from flowers to fill up the beds. But after last years WS harvest of plants and the one I anticipate this year, I do not really need or have room for "volunteers". Yes, I love how my cleome, argeritum and a few others just "arrive" without doing a thing (and in these beautiful, natural "waves") but I am thinking it may just be time to use a 3 month preemergent (like Preen) to combat weed seeds from sprouting and growing too.

Why? Because I just can't do another summer like last one! Weeding,weeding,weeding. I had used up a great deal of my "garden energy" Wsing and planting those plants out and really felt resentful that every weekend I had to go into the beds and weed just to give my WS babies a chance to thrive.

But I am on the fence. I don't like the idea of using chemicals in the garden, especially since we are on a well water system. I'd love your thoughts, experiences, wisdom, etc....

Thanks,

Nancy

Comments (9)

Sponsored