SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Cutting down dead tree smashes up garden

My husband started taking down the dead tree in the backyard over the weekend, while I was out of town on a business trip. He didn't tell me he was going to do this. I knew it would have to be done sometime, but if I had had a choice, I would have asked that it be done in the fall when everything in the main garden had stopped blooming.

At first when I saw the top half of the tree, a trunk about 5 inches in diameter, (which is really about half the tree, as it was Y shaped) in the yard laying near the garden, I thought, "Oh, good. He was able to drop it carefully and miss the garden."

Then about an hour later I went out looked more closely, and saw that, no, it didn't miss the garden. Instead, a group of my most prized lilies are now top less, or smashed off at the base. Lilies bloom only at the top, so that means no flowers for this year. My orienpet lily Honeymoon had 25 buds on it this year! Not anymore. He had to have seen it, as he obviously needed to pull the trunk off the garden. Other things that aren't lilies are smashed up too, but can be propped up again, or don't have buds yet anyway. The lily death toll alone is at least 15.

At I got home last night after he was in bed, so he wasn't able to tell me about it. But I wonder if he would have? I'll have to see what he says when he gets home. I doubt if he will consider that it requires an apology. It wouldn't take much to mollify me, just something like, "I'm sorry I smashed up your garden, but I HAD to take that tree down this weekend." (Though WHY? Why couldn't it wait? It only died this year.) That would do it. But I doubt if I will get even that, as he apologizes for nothing, or at least hasn't in many years (not to me, at any rate).

I'm feeling pretty mad right now, but don't want it to spoil my day. I stopped at a wonderful nursery on my way home yesterday and want to enjoy planting my annuals. I'm going to go put the I Pod on and listen to music while I garden, because I need to get this out of my head.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Comments (33)