SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobert18

Trees near pool area

bobert18
14 years ago

I bought a house with an in-ground pool. The problem is that the pool is on a bit of a hill, and it's a corner lot, so people driving by can pretty much see anyone who's not immersed in the pool. We'd like a little more privacy while wearing our swimsuits, so I'm looking to plant some trees.

A little info: the fenceline (where I would be planting) is about 20 feet from the pool, and about 3 feet below it. The neighbor's driveway is about 5 feet on the other side of the fence, so I don't want to break it up with any roots. The fence is a 6-foot privacy wooden fence, so I'm looking for something that grows maybe 12-20 feet tall (don't want to shade or overhang the pool at all). It's downhill from much of the yard, but not the lowest spot around, so the soil is moist, but not wet. I'd love something like a small maple (I prefer large leaves, and wouldn't mind some decent fall color), but from reading other posts, it looks like deciduous is a bad idea. I don't want anything that will litter the pool with leaves or flowers. If we go with an evergreen, I'd much prefer that it have some sort of real leaves, not needles.

I know this probably leaves a decent number of trees, and the answers may seem obvious to some of you. I'm just new to the whole tree/landscape (and homeownership) thing, so any help you could give would be appreciated.

Comments (12)