SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crashboxsus

wind break spacing

crashboxsus
17 years ago

Hello all,

I ordered a bunch of bare root seedlings from a local conservation group and they will arrive in three days. We'll be planting them on the downhill side from our house to block the west winds that come tearing up the hill in the winter.

So I'm having a (ahem) discussion with my husband about the spacing on them. Some of the online sources we've looked at say you should plant trees 6' apart for wind breaks so the branches intermingle. However, I'm concerned that the trees we bought (white pine and eastern redcedar) will get too big at that spacing, and then the lower branches won't get any sun, and will die off, leaving big gaps that won't block the wind at all! I've seen some other posts on the forum recommending bigger spacing with something columnar like thuja in the middle, but hubby and I both have an admittedly irrational dislike of thujas. So here's the question: assuming that we won't get anything to fill in the gaps, how far apart should we plant the trees?

Oh, in case it affects your answer, the space for the wind break is about 20' deep and 100' long or so.

TIA,

Susan

Comments (5)