SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martindiky

Only 30% of Bloodgood maple leafed

martindiky
12 years ago

First of all thanks to any of you with your advice.

I have a japanese maple "bloodgood" in San Francicso that was planted 3 years ago. The tree is in deep shade on a tiny manmade hill that's about 8ft dia. and 2ft tall for accent purpose. So far I have only applied once dry camelia azalea mix to the perimeter of the tree a year and a half ago.

Two winters it was doing very nice. This spring for some reason only 30% leafed. At this point it's obvious that it's not just delay. I waited already 6 weeks. The not-leafed branches have leaf buds that are browned. Some of the smallest are starting to dry-off. But most of the not-leafed branches are still live. I also discovered a little hole right under the root crown about 2x2inch. I don't think is rodent because it looked more like collapsed soil because the man made hill.

Could it be root rot? There was a lot of rain this year in SF and cold winter. However I am perplexed why would it contract root rot when it's actually set little higher than rest of the ground. I don't think it would be Verticillium Wilt since I don't see any indications in the cut branch cross section.

What would you suggest to do at this point? I just modest amount of camelia and azalea fert mix. and I thinking of pruning and waiting.

Any other suggestions on how to proceed? Anybody else experiencing the same?

{{gwi:138596}}
{{gwi:138597}}
{{gwi:138599}}
{{gwi:342346}}

Comments (16)