SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosaprimula

How long and how often do you work in the garden?

Campanula UK Z8
11 years ago

I generally post on the antique rose forum but as so many of my posts degenerate into unseemly rants, I thought I would share out the surly misery somewhat more equally. Anyway, making the most of a break in the ceaseless rain as well as avoiding the Jubilee hoohah, I awarded myself an entire day to work on the allotment. Despite a roaring start, after a couple of hard-working hours, I found myself wandering witlessly, peering into borders and aimlessly pulling weeds. A couple of hours of this and anymore gardening was conducted with a cup of tea in hand, from a gentle sitting position. I have noticed this before. There seems to be a limit to effectiveness and after a full days work, the amount achieved differs hardly at all from my usual brief efforts. Even making tick lists and such do not really work although I would not put this ifleness down to boredom since I can patently spend unlimited hours simply hanging around looking at stuff.

It is often said to new gardeners that 'little and often'is far better than a weekly blitz. In my case, 2 hours of graft seems to be about average (followed by many hours of wafting), even though the weeds are multiplying and the work is truly neverending. What's your limit? How long can you spend actively working? What percentage of time spent being in the garden involves actual labour? Can you simply sit and read....or do you still have to maintain a vague pretence of working (such as pulling wild oats, a stem at a time, or nipping off the odd bit of stray growth)? Do you ever work at ludicrous times (such as late at night with a headlamp)? Do you do garden tasks at intervals throuout the day or do you do the chores in one sustained effort? Just curious as I often used to fantasise about having unlimited time and how much I could get done.... but it just does not work out like that at all.

Comments (15)