SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drnewman6_gw

Grafting native vines to trees?

drnewman6
11 years ago

We live in the country in Arkansas. There are Trumpet vines and wisteria everywhere. We also have a problem with the locust trees that have thorns, we've cut them down, they come back.... their seeds (the locust not the vines) spread everywhere and it is a constant battle to keep them out of our yard.

I looked at a wisteria tree in a nursery the other day and after reading about them, I wondered if I could graft wisteria. Reading more I see wisteria and locust are in the same family, so they should work to graft together, is that correct?

I read that wisteria "trees" usually need staked, because the trunk is usually too weak to support the vines. Now these locust trees are very, very hard wood. It seems to me they would need no support, if I selected a fairly good sized one. I also read that you can combine vines to graft into trees, for example trumpet and wisteria on one tree, is that logical?

As I said, these vines and trees already grow everywhere around our property, so it isn't like we'd be introducing it.

Also what type of graft do you do with wisteria and what time of year. We just cut down most of the small locust, again but they will grow 5 or 6 feet this year, if I let them (maybe more). We also have two fair sized ones that we planned to take down this summer. What is the largest you'd want to use for a trunk?

Down behind our house in the woods my husband found a honeysuckle TREE. There is an old houseplace there. The trunk is not vine, it is a real tree trunk and the tree has to be very, very old as no one has lived back there in a very long time (no house or building still standing). Does honeysuckle graft well to trees?

We are just thinking on how to better use the plants and trees here and thought we might experiment with them, since we will be cutting much of it, anyway.

Thanks

Comments (2)