SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
tsheets_gw

How do I turn a driveway into a veggie garden?

tsheets
13 years ago

As strange as it sounds, the subject is pretty much spot on!

I went over to till up a new garden spot for my girlfriend today. It turns out that the chosen spot used to have a dog kennel there with rock/gravel as a base. She knew there was some gravel there, but, it had grown over with grass and some dirt...if you didn't know it was there, you would never guess there was ever a bed of rock in that location.

Well, anyway, I start tilling and it's probably 80% gravel. The kind of stuff you would see in a gravel driveway, probably about an inch in size on average.

Now, we're trying to figure out what to do. I was thinking we could either haul out the rock and replace it with something, or just add something to amend it and have the bed raised a bit. I wondered if the gravel would be good for aeration / drainage, or would be detrimental to the plants.

Which direction would you recommend? And in either case, what would you replace / amend with?

Thanks much for any help, and feel free to let me know if there's a better forum to ask or if I haven't provided enough information.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Gus & Sons Home Services LLC
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Comprehensive Residential Construction & Remodeling in Virginia