SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselover59

Help can my hybrid teas be saved?

roselover59
11 years ago

I am having a frustrating time with my hybrid tea roses and I wondered if you could help. Some background: I live in the Columbus Ohio area ( I believe we are zone 4 maybe??), my roses were planted in the spring of 2009. I have them with in a nice sunny most of the day and shady alittle of the day location. They were planted in a mixture or top soil and cow manure and covered with mulch. I use the bayer all in one for roses to fertilize,prevent pests, and disease. I winter over my roses by trimming the canes, covering with mulch, and wrapping with a layer of burlap. The first two years my roses did great and I had no problems. Last summer I noticed that one of my roses know as "Perfume Delight" was shooting up large leafy canes but was not producing and blooms. Later in the summer that same rose did produce two blooms which were the big characteristic hot pink. I noticed that the canes with no blooms leaves ( smaller, darker green with reddish trim around leafs) looked different than the leaves on the shoot that produced the blooms ( bigger bright green leaves). This year I am noticing the same thing only it looks as if the large leafy canes are going to produce blooms as there is cluster of blooms almost like a miniature rose or florabunda cluster similar to my gene boerner tree rose. I read where hybrid teas are often grafted onto a hardy old fashioned rose and that if they are damaged by cold that the hybrid dies but the wild rose lives. I am wondering if there is any of my hybrid tea left? How would I know if any of the hybrid tea is viable? How can I keep the old rose from shooting up canes and taking over? What does the knot look like where the roses were grafted? I have heard to cut the sucker canes below the graft, how do I know what to cut ( I dont want to accidentally cut the hybrid)I also have a gene boerner florabunda tree rose planted in the same bed, is it possiable that it could have spread and is growing/choking out my hybrid teas? I am also wondering if this has not happened to my other hybrid tea known as "Pristine". I really loved these hybrid teas and will do whatever I can to safe them otherwise im wondering if I should just dig them up and start over. I have a link to pictures or my roses for identification. ( First three pictures are of the "perfume delight" one picture is what I hope is still some of the hybrid as the leaves are different, the last picture is what is currently growing on my "Pristine"

Thanks for your help

Erin

Here is a link that might be useful: rose photos

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!