SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sevh_gw

rx75 Oil change re drain plug issue

SEVH
12 years ago

My father passed 2+ years ago so while preparing home, Mom now lives with me, I'm responsible for everything,thus lawn. We had an ancient JD and he picked up this one at a yard sale 5 years ago. The first summer I got my caretaker to get it running and he did. But during the summer, numerous times telling him NOT to mow to no avail, he happened to mention that everytime he used it he put oil in. Yep, which was why stalling and white smoke were now a major issue. But it continued to run until end of August. He charged the battery numerous time and would get it running about 30 sec, died. He promised since he caused the issue, he would drain the oil and repair it. In October I pushed it onto the porch and covered it.

In memory of my Dad and the horror Alzheimer's which robbed him of his golden years I have a blog HM, BET I CAN FIX THAT, about my Dad, myself, this house and all the comedy. I have a Briggs/Stratton push which I use in the meantime but it will crap out. So I decided to go to war with the RX75 to get it running. 1. Charged battery and clicked now but nothing beyond. Bought and installed new battery, cranks but won't run. 2. Having no doubt the oil did a number on the works I found the plug to loosen and drained the oil. (Yea, me) BUT when I reversed-it seemed-the plug and put oil in it poured back out. After endless attempts to move plug around to find 'closed' oil still flows right out. And the space around the plug, even with my small hands and various tools, is just minimal.

Now I know after I do get oil to stay I will no doubt need to change the spark plug as the excessive oil and no doubt being several years old with no real servicing the last few years. And suspect the carburator will be the next problem.

But right now, my manual being the 'abridged' version if there ever was an 'unabridged' answers some ?s but really only the basics.

How the heck do I return to the drain plug closed. No doubt a DUH question but.....

Comments (15)

Sponsored
More Discussions