SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nysff

Deere GT225 Transaxle

14 years ago

Purchased a used Deere GT225 a few weeks ago. Have a few questions on the transaxle, a TT K71B. This is my first hydrostatic transaxle, previously only had a gear drive lawn tractor. How hot are the hydrostatic transaxles supposed to run? Before I used the 225, I checked the fan, fluid level, and case. It is a very clean unit, so the transaxle case was very clean, some dirt, debris caught in a few of the pockets in the upper case near the axles but that was about it. I mow 3/4 acres plus with some 15% grade. At completion, the case was warmer than I would expect. Problem is I have no reference, so it is probably fine. You can keep your hand on it, but it is getting close to too warm/hot to do that. I need to get a non-contact thermometer so I can put some numbers to this. The fluid level was at the proper level cold and after use, was a few inches higher in the external reservoir. Just trying to get a feel for it??

Also, what about fluid for this transaxle? It was an estate type sale, so there wasn't anyone to talk to regarding previous service, etc. I am working through the unit, performing the various required services. It has no hour meter, but appearance/wear surfaces indicate very low use. Decided I should probably change transaxle fluid as well. JD OM states Low Viscosity Hygard (J20D). In most cases, I would likely stick to the manufacturers recommended fluid, although I thought I would at least take a look at any possible options. I've heard others mention using synthetic oils (I think the Hygard is conventional) like 5w-50 and I think in fact, TT has that as an option of the current K72. The only synthetic J20D spec I see is Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF/THFW although I would probably have trouble finding it. The only other issue that is somewhat confusing is the recommendation/requirement for Low Vis Hygard vs. regular Hygard. The ambient temp range for Low Vis is -40 to about 85F while for regular Hygard, 0-122F. Based on ambient temps only, regular Hygard would seem to be the most appropriate fluid, however, I'm assuming there is much more to the J20D (low vis) spec. Like I said earlier, I'll probably just follow the manual and use the JD Low Vis Hygard, but I thought I'd at least see if anyone is using anything different. Thanks

Comments (9)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals