SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doug_r

B&S 18hp no spark, help needed

doug_r
14 years ago

My 15 yr old son just started a lawn mowing biz and inherited a Wizard lawn tractor with a B&S 18hp twin. Model- 422707, type- 1512 01, code- 90012212.

When he first got the tractor it had been sitting for a year or two. We charged the battery. Tried to start it, turned over but wouldn't start. Had him sand off the flywheel and coil and adjusted gap. Tried starting and it fired up we let it run for 10 or fifteen minutes. shut it down and did some other maintenance items. Tried to start later, no spark. Replaced the coil, adjusted gap and it fired right up and we ran it for probably 30 mins checking the cutting pattern and deck adjustment, etc. Shut it off, tried to restart and low and behold no spark again.

Fast forward a few days. We were trying to troubleshoot it and through a series of unfortunate events we found out that the engine was not getting a good ground from the battery. We added a new ground, double checked the spark and we have spark. Reinstalled the plugs and she fired right up, ran it for about 20 minutes to cut our side yard to make sure it wasn't going to die. Shut it off (thinking that everything was good), and tried to restart no spark. So I thought "OK the coil is getting hot and not wanting to spark", let it cool down and checked spark again - nothing.

Sorry this is so long but I'm getting frustrated, and I wanted you to know the history. I'm no stranger to mechanics, I turned wrenches for a living in the past. This tractor is pretty old and I haven't been able to find any kind of wiring diagrams because it was built by Wizard, sold through Western Auto (which is out of biz), but I believe Murray built the tractors an let WA put a Wizard brand on them.

What should I be looking for? And thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz