SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Neighbor 'limbed up' evergreens that were planted on the line.

A little background. Years ago, when I had my house built on what had previously been farm ground, the adjoining neighbor planted a row of White Pines between us, (approx 400' away from my house) right on the property line, as best as I could tell. I'd have to find my survey markers to be positive though. I was 'tiffed' at the time that he put them right on the line, but chose to not say anything about it, just wanting to get along with him. The trees then turned into a very nice privacy screen.

He has since sold off that property, and there is a new house and neighbor, just on the opposite side of the pines. The new neighbor has since limbed up the pines quite a bit, on both sides leaving us both in full view of each other. To top it off, he has a big scary dog (boxer mix maybe?) with a remotely controlled collar and the dog's range is past the trees and on my property. I suspect he limbed them up so the dog would have full maximum range of the electronic transmitter and collar.

While I am upset about the trees being trimmed' up', is there any recourse? Can I and should I tell him, that going forward he is not to trim anything on those trees on 'my' side? Another solution might be to plant an additional row of fast growing evergreens on my side. I am on the west side of the pines so they would get afternoon sun. Suggestions? I really hate to have to plant another row, as it will take away from the acreage that is rented to a farmer. Maybe limb up the existing pines as far as possible and plant as close as possible to the existing trees?

Additionally, when the dog's collar batteries go dead, the dog knows it and wanders off their property, and twice recently came all the way to my yard and attacked my elderly lab. I can't say just how severe the attacks were because my 2 other dogs get involved and then neighbor's dog quits its attack and ambles off toward home. The last time I called the neighbors to tell them that their dog's collar batteries were dead, and that their dog had been up here in my 'yard' attacking my dog, the neighbor was indignant that I keep calling them. I was just letting them know what had happened and assumed they would want to know, if for no other reason than to protect their dog from my three dogs. Sheesh...can't win for losing. I am not looking for trouble, but wonder just what I should do. We are 'very rural'.

When I'm most upset, I ponder the thought of just putting up a wire fence under the trees, within inches of the property line. That would keep their dog off my property and 'maybe' prevent it from going to, and around, the end of the fence in order to cross the field and come over to my house. I have never said anything about the fact that their dog's range has extended well past the property line and the trees, thus has been on my property for years.

On a 'good' note, once the field is planted and the crops are up, I can't see the neighbor and his dog doesn't come over here until after harvest time.

End of rant.

So, what should I tell the neighbors, or what should I trim up, and what should I plant?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!