SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piper101_gw

J.Child/S.Sprite or D.land in this space,,see pix

piper101
15 years ago

Hi, I've got room for 1 rose and like a Catmint in what remains of this space. Full sun. Do you think a Julia Child/Sunsprite or Disneyland rose should go here? patch that has the grass is what is coming out.

{{gwi:273467}}

Patch of grass on the left had side of photo.

{{gwi:273468}}

Comments (10)

• ronda_in_carolina
    15 years ago

Well you are in CA and I have no idea what Julia might do in your conditions but here in SC she is as clean as a rose can be. Full, fragrant and viturally non-fading. I love her and have 2 in my garden.

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

I TOTALLY vote for Julia Child! I am a sucker for yellow and purple anyway, (in my flowers,that is,) but I think that would be drop-dead gorgeous.

• angelcub
    15 years ago

I think they're all great choices but Sunsprite is a very clear yellow so maybe too bright for that spot. I'd go with Julia - she stays around 3-4 ft. for me so maybe a bit larger for you. Can't comment on Disneyland but just got a call that the two I ordered are in - whoo hoo! : )

Btw, just to make sure you have enough room to get to the water meter, have you considered removing the smaller yellow and white plants you have in that bed? Then you could plant a rose a little closer to the deep pink colored flowers (salvia?) and not have to worry much about the size it becomes. You could always plant some annuals under the rose for more color.

• dan1465_z7nj
    15 years ago

I agree with Angelcub. Whatever you choose, the Bed just won't look right from the street because the Rose or Roses of choice would be taller than those lower growing Annuals. Consider moving the other Plants.

I don't grow Disneyland so, can't comment.

I've grown Sunsprite for many years, I like it alot but, it is not the most shapely of Roses. Short, yes. But rather akward looking. I would grow it more or less tucked in with the other Roses.

Julia Child I'd say is a much better choice of the two. It will make a rounder, fuller small Shrub. It is a real work Horse when it comes to pushing out Flowers.

I do believe you have room for both and a new Catmint. Neither will grow to be large Shrubs but, then again, I Garden in New Jersey, not California.

I'm just not sure about those two colors together. Side by side they would not compliment each other. Just loose the yellow Annual or whatever that is. Move the white plant up and put Julia back toward the wall and you'll have play room for the Catmint and any other filler you want to throw in there.

Good luck,
    Dan

• agility_mom
    15 years ago

I don't have Disneyland but I do have the other two. Julia Child is the better rose. Sunsprite blows fast.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

I have Disneyland and Julia Child. Both would look pretty there. Julia has a fuller, bushier habit, while Disneyland is a little more airy.

• sarah27
    15 years ago

My vote for a stunning yellow next to your purple!

• medusa_
    15 years ago

I actually would prefer whichever yellow you choose between the reddish/rosish bush and the beautiful blue purple shrub -- to me a better color progression. There won't be room for the small annuals, but with any luck you should be able to carve out a spot for some iris and/or daylilies -- the contrast of the leaves would be wonderful and would help break up the monotony of shapes. I mean no criticism, just the way I look at stuff in my own yard -- I'm seldom satisfied with my stuff!

• Cindi_KS
    15 years ago

I vote for the Disneyland Rose because it will complement the brick. Take out the yellow and white smaller plants, put the catmint back against the small green box. Put a low groundcover with blue blooms up front between Disneyland and the plate on the ground and maybe between the rose and the red shrub. Blue blooms in the same shade as the larger shrub, if you can. Three large plants, no medium sized plants to distract, and smooth groundcover style blooms to tie it all together.
    And yes, Julia Child is a fabulous rose...I just like to coordinate colors.

• piper101
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hoov - Your pictures of Disneyland made me buy one no matter where it goes. I just had to have one after seeing your pictures of it!!! Tx, everybody. Can you believe nobody has Julia C. right now except this primo garden place (Roger's G) that wants $35 for it!!! I just paid $19 for the same sized Disneyland. I guess I'll just have to suck it up since I missed the H.Depot sale,,,Don't know how I missed that post. Thank you all for your advice and time.